(817) 281-0314  •  

                                        
Staff & History Home  >  About Us  >  Staff & History

About Us

Mission

Contact Information

Worship Times

Staff & History

How to Join

Worship Times:

Sunday, 8:30 a.m.

Sunday, 10:50 a.m.

Sunday School, 9:45 a.m.

Find Us!

6701 Smithfield Road,

North Richland Hills, TX 76182

Staff

  Dr. Rev. Lisa Neslony...Pastor

  Trena Burden...Director of Music Ministries

  Andy Taylor...Youth Director

  Jackie Baird...Nursery Coordinator

  Roberta Ballester...Church Secretary

  Janie Farnham...Financial Secretary

  Janet Taylor...Director of Discovery School

  Kirsti Frausto...Assistant Director of Discovery School

  Al Jackson...Custodian

History

The community of Smithfield (later incorporated into the city of North Richland Hills) began in the 1850's as Zion. The first meeting of Methodists was in the home of William and Mary Turner, who led what was called the Willow Springs Class and later the Zion Methodist Church.

In 1887, when the name of the town was changed to Smithfield, so was the name of the church. The first building (wood frame building shown to left) not only served as the church, but as the public school.

Pioneer families, many living hard scrabble lives, established farms and small businesses in the area. Descendents of those families are faithful members of the church to this day.

As the area has rapidly grown in the last few decades, so have the challenges of the church. Once a small, country church, Smithfield now looks to its future by both sustaining its rich heritage of family life and community celebration while reaching out in discipleship to those seeking a church home.

With a wide variety of opportunities for spiritual growth, including an award winning preschool, "The Discovery School," children and youth programs, traditional classes as well as shorter, enriching experiences for service and learning, Smithfield seeks to bring the good news of Christ to all.

SMITHFIELD, TEXAS. Smithfield, in north central Tarrant County, was probably established before 1870 and was originally called Zion. A post office opened there in 1878. In 1887 the St. Louis and Southwestern Railway built through the area a quarter mile south of Zion, and a new section of the community grew up near the tracks. This new development siphoned away population and businesses from the older section, which eventually was abandoned. The new railroad settlement was called Smithfield, for Eli Smith, who had donated land for a church and cemetery in Zion. Smithfield initially flourished as a shipping point for the products of area farms and ranches. Though the town suffered a bad fire in 1890, by 1900 it had a population of 137, and the local school employed three teachers and enrolled 156 students from the area. The population of Smithfield remained at about the same level through the 1930s, but it began to grow around World War II because of the boom in war-related employment in nearby Fort Worth. By the late 1940s Smithfield reported 350 residents and eight businesses. After a bitterly contested campaign and election, however, nearby North Richland Hills annexed Smithfield in 1958. The Smithfield name survives in several local institutions, including a middle school, and on historical markers at the Smithfield cemetery, Masonic lodge, and two churches.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: Historic Resources Survey: Selected Tarrant County Communities (Fort Worth: Historic Preservation Council for Tarrant County, 1990).

- Brian Hart "SMITHFIELD, TX." The Handbook of Texas Online

I Was Hungry Get more info
Calendar of Events View Full Size
(817) 281-0314  •   6701 Smithfield Road, North Richland Hills, TX 76182